The date was January 2, 1878 and Brothers: Lindsey Anderson, Meyer Noot, Henry Green, Leopold Hartman, Abraham Gompers, Joseph Schwartz, Maurice L. Happ, Lorenzo Traver, Adolph Greenwood, Charles Jacobs, and William Richardson petitioned to the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations for the privilege of forming "Redwood Lodge". This effort was proudly reccommended to the Grand Master by the Brethren of St. John's Lodge No. 1 in Providence.
On February 22nd, 1878, in the 101st year of American Independence, the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Charles R Cutler, approved the petition and granted dispensation for the formation of Redwood Lodge in the "Town of Providence" for the purpose of initiating Freemasons. After 4 months, and 11 successful meetings, the Grand Master formally constituted Redwood Lodge No. 35 A.F.& A.M. on June 10th 1878.
Redwood's first Worshipful Master was Meyer Noot, a prominent Rabbi in Providence. They chose the name "Redwood", not in reflection of the redwood tree, as many have wrongly presumed, but in honor of Abraham Redwood (1709-1788), a well known ship owner, merchant, plantation owner, state assemblyman, botanist, and philanthropist in the mid 18th Century. Redwood is today remembered for founding Newport's Redwood Library in 1743.
Through the 20th century, and into the 21st, Redwood Lodge would contribute 4 Grand Masters to the Grand Lodge, and countless other brothers who were active and proud citizens in the State.
Over 130 years later, and Redwood Lodge is still here, serving the Masonic Community of Rhode Island.